Breakfast in Pittsburgh!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Del's 80's Cafe - Carrick

Always on the lookout for new Saturday Breakfast spots in Pittsburgh, when we drove past Del's 80's Cafe in Carrick a few days ago, I was giddy as a teenager again! I mean, what could be better than Saturday Breakfast than flashing back to the decade of the Brat Pack, Big Hair and the Totally Awesome Music :) (The name reminded me of "Cafe 80's" from Back to the Future Part III when Marty has to pose as his dopey son to get him out of trouble, ha ha.)
The Cafe is located right in the heart of Carrick near St. Basil's and has plenty of on street metered parking. The first thing we noticed when we walked in were the album covers hung on the wall - - We had fun counting how many the two of us owned at the time! For me it was Duran Duran, Wham & Tears for Fears - Husband was proud his U2 collection was represented.
The breakfast menu here isn't really much to be excited about. Nothing really stood out, and if I'm being honest, if I hadn't taken a picture, I would have forgotten what I ate. (Cheese omelet for me and scrambled eggs breakfast with a pancake for husband.)
The food became such a side note because the menu also doubled as a jam-packed 80's trivia book!! Movies, music, tv, and all kinds of pop culture that easily kept us entertained. Never has breakfast been this much fun, I gotta tell you!  

Here are some examples of the questions:
1. Name 6 members of the Brat Pack.
2. What was the name of E.T.'s favorite candy?
3. Where did the Super Friends congregate to watch the latest happenings on a big screen TV?
    

Answers: 
1. Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Rob Lowe, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall, Mare Winningham, Demi Moore, Charlie Sheen, Matthew Broderick
2. Reese's Pieces
3. The Hall of Justice

And more fun with music quotes... Name the song & band!
1. "Buying bread from a man in Brussels, He was 6 food 4 and full of muscles"
2. "At this moment, you mean everything!"
3. "I'm on the hunt, I'm after you"
    

Answers: 
1. "Down Under", Men at Work
2. "Come on Eileen," Dexy's Midnight Runners
3. "Hungry Like the Wolf", Duran Duran

We could have stayed there for hours, just listening to classic tunes and laughing as goofy memories came flooding back with every question. I know 80's trivia can be found everywhere on the internet, but combining it with the best meal of the day... Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment