Breakfast in Pittsburgh!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dor Stop Restaurant

No, not a misspelling! The Dor Stop Restaurant is an awesome little diner in the Dormont borough and was our choice for Breakfast in Pittsburgh this Saturday.  It is located on the corner of the cutest little street, with trees and shops that reminds me of Main Street USA in the 1950's (except the cars don't have those really big fins on them.)
We arrived really late today (near noon) thanks to a long walk with the dogs on this sunny Saturday, followed by a long nap thanks to some allergy medicine. But no worries, as the Dor Stop serves its amazing breakfast all day.  The place was packed, but we only waited a few minutes to be seated. Obviously this is an extremely popular place - they  proudly display on the wall in the waiting area newspaper clippings of reviews, and seems Guy Fieri stopped by not too long ago for all you Food Network fans. He featured them in "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives".
The owners pride themselves in home cooked freshness, cleverly bragging that their soups have "never seen the inside of a can". And we were in no way disappointed by their breakfast menu. By this time of the day I was super hungry, so I chose the "From the Bone" which was delicious ham with eggs, fresh grated German potato pancakes, applesauce & sour cream and Italian toast. Husband had the special omelet with spinach, feta, and hot sausage with home fries - and a pancake on the side. Not sure what the story was with this pancake - the menu just said it was "mom's recipe" - it was really tasty but not at all light and fluffy like bisquick.  But this Saturday morning the whole thing got eaten, it was that yummy. And I don't know what it is about potato pancakes (I'd never even heard of them before moving to Pittsburgh) but they are definitely one of my favorite foods on earth, and these particularly just melted in my mouth.
We were seated at the back of the restaurant at a small table right next to the kitchen, which is partially open to the dining area.  They really have a smooth system going, serving up lots of people really quickly. Being so close, we could hear all the banter as they cooked up everyones orders and the head cook shouted out instructions to the kitchen helpers. Now it's been a long time since I worked in a restaurant (does McDonald's actually count as a restaurant??) so I'm not really familiar with the jargon, but I'm pretty sure these guys have a language of their own. Unless someone can tell me what "get me 2 sets of scrambled and work me a Betty from the ground up" means?

All in all, we really enjoy the food and atmosphere at Dor Stop. And I must give it a very high recommendation for its classic home cooked food selection.  Really good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment