Breakfast in Pittsburgh!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

King's Family Restaurant - Bridgeville

With a name like King's Family Restaurant, I so wanted to love this place! I mean, how perfect would that be if King Saturday's favorite restaurant was King's? But alas, this King's just isn't worthy of such accolades for this Saturday breakfast in Pittsburgh.
King's is a chain of several restaurants in the Pittsburgh area. I've not been to many, but see commercials on TV. Usually when businesses take the time to make commercials, it's so they can show off the best of the best - food that looks so good you just can't help but be tempted to go out and spend your hard earned money eating at their establishment. But I never feel like that when I see King's commercials ... and I end up thinking "Really? Is that the best you've got??"

So perhaps it was with a bit of bias that we began breakfast today. But always up for an adventure, we decided to try and find that something special on the menu. I decided that the potato pancake special looked best of all - which also included 2 eggs, bacon & toast, with a side of applesauce. Husband picked the "Wake up Special" consisting of 2 buttermilk hot cakes, 2 eggs and 2 sausage links with toast and choice of potato (he picked the cheesy ones). Lots of food, with really low prices compared to most places we've visited. (So that's a plus!) Surprisingly, out off all that, the most delicious tasting item was not the potato  pancakes (usually one of my most favorite foods of all time) but it was the cheesy potatoes. (And they tasted like they belonged as a side for dinner rather than breakfast.) Not to go on and on, but the bacon was burned, the potato pancakes were exceedingly dry and the over-easy eggs seemed very small.
I think the highlight of the experience was the dessert menu, which is cleverly published as the placemat. So while you are waiting and waiting and waiting for your food, you can dream about what might happen after your meal finally arrives. King's clearly finds itself in competition with Pittsburgh area Eat 'n Park chains. So in marketing response to Eat 'n Park's popular Smiley face cookies, King's offers the "Frownie". How clever.
 
Maybe one day we'll return for dessert. And maybe not. I hate when I don't love a place, but this one just didn't do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment